Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Reconstruction Harkness Table Reflection

          After participating in the Harkness Table on the second day, my opinions remained the same.  I enjoyed that I was able to learn more about Reconstruction and broaden my views on the topic, even if I did not necessarily agree with them.  I went into the table set on the idea that Reconstruction was a general failure, and I left with the same idea.  I was introduced to ideas that argued both sides fairly well and I liked hearing different viewpoints.  I thought that the discussion on the second day began smoothly and then became a little choppy when we went off on tangents.  Towards the middle and end, there was a lack of sources and support for some points being made.  Personally, I found it frustrating that I had to argue a side that I did not believe, which caused me to switch sides often.  I wish I had used more support for ideas, to make points stronger.  Overall, I enjoyed the discussion and I loved hearing the opinions of classmates.
          In regards to the conversation itself, I think it was a great idea that we started by defining success and establishing that there are different degrees of success.  Also, I like that we began the conversation by establishing the goals of Reconstruction.  It was great that we were able to discuss the affects of Reconstruction from different points in time in order to determine the short term and long term effects.  Lastly, I enjoyed discussing topics of Reconstruction that did not surround slavery and freedmen, like the idea of the nation's economic failure and political separation.
          I feel that I should have allowed others to participate more and get their points in before speaking again.  I also wish I had used more sources to back up my ideas.  In addition, I feel that I should have stuck to discussing ideas that could have been supported by primary sources (the intent behind the south compromising and re-entering the union).  I kind of wish we had a little bit more time to continue the conversation and expand on our ideas through primary sources.

No comments:

Post a Comment