Monday, February 17, 2014

Reform Trade Show Reflection


            Prior to participating in the trade show, I was expecting more of the project to be focused on the actual research; however I found there was more of an emphasis on the product and its connection to the movement.  Towards the beginning, it was a bit frustrating trying to find a product that would fit with the idea of women’s rights, but once we figured it out, the project became much more interesting and we were able to effectively research.  I found that the project required less research than it did thinking and applying 21st century competencies.  Michelle, Danielle and I worked rather independently towards the beginning and quickly compiled our information at the end.  We could have used our class time more wisely, by finding alternatives when the internet was down, but I think ultimately, our end product was decent.  Through the research, I learned a lot about the topic of women's rights.  I was able to discover more about the issues of suffrage and education as well as the role of women in the abolition of slavery.  I was also able to draw the connection between the market revolution, the cult of domesticity, and the beginning of the idea of women's suffrage.  In my opinion, the show itself was quite enjoyable.  While browsing, I learned a lot about other topics, and the booths looked fantastic.  Simply by walking around, I was able to pick up a lot of information from each booth.  I found it extremely helpful that some groups were handing out business cards and pamphlets in order to make their information and products more memorable.  Being near the transcendentalist literature booth, I could hear discussions about how transcendentalists disliked society and how transcendentalism was related to the time period.  After visiting all the booths, there was a very clear connection between each of the topics and how they tied in with the idea of reform and how it changed the nation during that era.  Each booth had an individual way of presenting their information.  I liked how multiple groups had an emphasis on the aspects of their research they felt were most important.  Some of the concepts that stuck with me the most were the medical side of scientific pursuits as well as the various ideas of utopian societies.  It was great being able to speak with classmates and learn so much from each other.  I liked that this project deviated from the usual classroom lessons and conversations we have.  The overall atmosphere of the project as well as the trade show, was fairly enjoyable and I would love to do more projects like these.

2 comments:

  1. I always enjoy reading your reflections about assignments. I find it interesting that you spoke of the medical booth and being able to overhear them, that was mentioned in another blog commentary. Not that you could hear them but the medical side of the booth's information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed watching your screencasts below.

    ReplyDelete